Thursday, December 27, 2012

December

Earlier this month one of my friends asked if I could go to a movie, to which I replied..."Um, I think I'm free January 13th. Does that work?" You didn't know I was so important, did ya? Seriously, my life is flying by and I'm not even sure that I am taking it all in. So, so busy.

We began the month by going out to Sandy Holler farms and climbing all the up to the top of a mountain with a saw. Then we chopped down our very own Christmas tree and drug it back down the mountain. They had trees at the bottom of the mountain but we don't roll that way. It was the Griswold tree experience and all of its glory as we carried a baby in the Bjorn, Oliver whined about walking and Josiah ran so fast downhill that he couldn't stop and slammed face first into a tree. We dressed extremely festive in Christmas sweaters and worked up a pretty big sweat in the 75 degree weather. It was a perfect day and we really did pick the perfect tree.
The following weekend Lil came into town and Jaime and I took off for a full twenty-four hours to celebrate 9 years of marriage. That morning we ran 14 miles in Bent Creek and I had the run of my life. It was a moment when all the stars aligned and my body, mind and spirit were all working in perfect harmony. I ran the whole way, climbed almost 1,000 feet in elevation and went fast! I even got a little choked up and thought, "I'm really gonna run a marathon! That's so awesome!" It was a great start to a fun day. We checked into the Princess Anne Bed and Breakfast around 3pm after walking around downtown and Jaime using part of his Christmas bonus to buy a new bike. It's pretty sweet and since he and I are almost the same size, I fit on it too. Yay! That night I took every bit of perfectly balanced wellness I found that morning and threw it out the window. Seriously, it was wild. Too wild. And that's all I'm gonna say about that. Thank goodness those kids keep us chaperoned so well because Mommy and Daddy need it. Yikes.
The next week Josiah and Oliver had their Christmas program at school and it was adorable. I was so proud of Josiah and how well he overcame his fear of singing on stage! Last year he was so miserable during the whole performance but you never would have known this year. He is growing into a fine little human. I don't have any pictures because I missed the memo that in order to get a seat (and a SuperMommy award!) you must arrive 3 hours before show time and was left standing in the back row with all the other cool people who showed up at 11:45. Oh well, I hope my kids still know that I love them. Here they are that morning.
The next weekend I ran 15 miles in Bent Creek. Correction, I suffered through 14.4 miles in Bent Creek and quit before reaching that final .6 because I'm pretty sure I would have died if I went any further. I was VERY hot and overdressed because when I started that morning it was freezing and then it suddenly became summertime mid-run. I was also hungry, thirsty and depressed. Not a good day. But those are the days that make us tough. The weekly mileage is really getting up there and by the time the Saturday run rolls around I just want to lay in bed with the rest of America and eat Christmas cookies. I can do this. I will do this.

The next week I prepared a big birthday celebration for my husband who was turning 34 on the Mayan predicted last day on earth. Other people were joking about December 21st alot, but I didn't think it was very funny. I really wasn't ready for the world to end yet. The only good I could find in it was that I wouldn't have to run a marathon in March. So the big day arrived and BOOM. I got the freaking flu. Like lay on the bathroom floor and pray that the world ends flu. Ugh, it was retched. So, I sent my husband out all day with the three kids to celebrate his birthday. He took them to Papas and Beer and got the Sombrero and ice cream. The image of a solo dad and three kids wearing a sombrero while waiters sing Happy Birthday is enough to make me wanna marry him all over again. That night Bill was in charge of his birthday since I was praying to be put out of my misery. I think they had fun. Honestly, I don't remember. The following four days went like this. Oliver SICK. Corinne SICK. Josiah SICK. Christmas Eve with my grandparents in Lawndale where we all looked liked we had been or should have been hospitalized for some form of E-coli. I'm sure they were so glad we came  visit. Ugh.

Christmas Day was actually really nice and we were mostly on the mend. We woke up early, opened presents and then went to visit my dad and had big feast. The first in about five days.  All in all, a success!

Going into 2013 I can only hope to slow down a little and enjoy the little things more. These are the best days of my life and I want to remember them. So cheers to the world not ending and new beginnings. Happy Holidays Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment