Monday, May 9, 2011

One for the Books.

This weekend we celebrated Josiah's 3rd birthday as well as Mothers day and had plenty of family and friends in town to help join in all the fun.

Saturday began early with The Ramble Run 12K and I have to say that in 4 years of taking running somewhat seriously and numerous races, this one was the best yet. It was an intense experience and I loved every second. Having no clue of the course or elevation changes I was prepared for anything but hoping for the best. Here is a map of the hills:


Like I said, it was intense. As one runner said to me, "It made the Shamrock look flat" or our other friend who placed 18th overall and ran it in just 47 minutes,"Brutal." I don't think I would personally describe it either of these ways, just intense. There was a lot of up hill and some of them were crazy big but then we got to run down hill, then up another one etc, etc... And the scenery was so picturesque and lovely. Most of it was on gravel roads and trails and at one point I found myself all alone just as the sun was shining through huge oak trees. I was listening to some Indian spiritual chant on the Slum Dog Millionaire CD and for a brief second thought I was in heaven. It was really fantastic. I beat my estimated finish time by 2 minutes and came in at 1:08 which works out to about a 9:05 mile for 7.5 miles. I was so happy! I told my friend who did 47 minutes to slow next time and he may have more fun. Such a great way to start the day!

After the race, we were greeted by Jaime's brother and sister who made the trip from Boone, NC and Atlanta, GA for Sisi's big day. My mom arrived a day earlier and was a great help getting everything ready for the party. And finally after 3 weeks of non-stop asking, it was time to go! Hickory Nutt Gap Farm was a beautiful spot for Josiah and 35 of our closest friends to party down.
Such a great party with such perfect friends. Thanks everyone for making my little boy's day so special!

Sunday morning we kept the celebrations rolling and woke up early enough to head to the Pisgah Mountain Inn on the parkway for a Mother's day Breakfast. After stuffing ourselves rotten, we hit the hiking trails and for the first time ever, HAD A SUCCESSFUL HIKING EXPERIENCE! Josiah hiked almost to the tip top of Mt. Pisgah and Oliver rode in the backpack without screaming. Do we really want to add another baby into this easy going family of ours? It was so awesome! It made me remember I actually like living in the mountains when I am able to be a part of them. Thanks kids! Mama was a happy camper.

It was such a blessing not only to spend Mother's day with my 3 boys but with my Mama as well. Without her, none of these extraordinary experiences would be possible. Thanks for giving me life!

Now I just have to make it through Josiah actually turning three this Wednesday when the lump in my throat may finally find its way out. Why does it all go by so fast?

No comments:

Post a Comment